29 October 2008

made you look

on my way back from a meeting this morning, I noticed one of those bench signs that said (in big bold yellow letters), "SEE YOU LOOKED! BENCH ADVERTISING DOES WORK!"

I sincerely hope no one is fooled by this. we all know that there's a huge difference between merely getting someone's attention and clearly articulating a message, don't we?

I remember riding in the car once when I was very young -- I saw a balloon floating in the sky that was attached to a long string decorated with multi-colored, triangular shaped flags. it had to be at least one hundred feet in the air. when the car finally got close to the base of the balloon, it was a car dealership.

'a car dealership?' I thought. 'what do balloons have to do with selling cars?'

so, I asked [whomever was driving] why a car dealership would do this? it has nothing to do with all the books I'd read on advertising approaches. just kidding, I was probably only eight years old or so.

the answer I was given was, "to get your attention." and it worked. so its a successful means of advertising, right?

wrong.
this balloon only confused me. it said nothing about their company, how they're different from the next car dealership, or even what their profession is. this, in many ways, is probably worse than going unnoticed. in the consumer's mind is now ambiguity (which does not lead to inquiry) rather than surety or simply not knowing the company exists. how can one believe it is good in any way to first mislead someone before asking for a business relationship? I thought the balloon meant there was a circus in town and then I'm disappointed by this stale, lame car dealership?

its as if so many of us are begging for the attention drug in any possible form that we'd do anything to get it.


is that intelligent?

No comments: