24 March 2008

eureka



There have been few times in my life when I can honestly say I've experienced what's referred to as "eureka." I'm fully aware of how arrogant I may sound at times and honestly, I don't really believe I'm some design guru who's descended from above - I'm just hard working, attentive, and like anyone else, I have a good idea from time to time.

As this project with OSU's African American Alumni Society comes to a close, I can honestly say this has been the most fun I've ever had professionally. They are great people to work with, they loved my ideas, and I loved theirs. And although I wanted to go in a different direction with the logo (after seeing it for more than a week, the red, black, and green seemed a little predictable but much less than the kinte cloth they used pre-Matthew), this poster is certainly one of my favorite ideas I've had in quite some time. It always seems to be the projects that are not directly related to my career objective that produce the most satisfying results. This, more than likely, can be attributed to my deep passion for the subject.

Description
The slogan, "Faces, places, and memories - honoring our past while creating our future" was developed by AAAS' Marketing Department. Though the slogan alone provokes lots of visuals, the poster simplifies the message by juxtaposing two images - close ups of an African American child and an African warrior - with the AAAS logo as the link between both. While maintaining a visually arresting layout, the poster quickly communicates the idea. Also, this poster reflects the visual identity (logo) by using equally sized and horizontally aligned squares as the primary visual element.

I was so in love with this idea that (as my Facebook friends can recall... all four of you) I made it my profile picture for a few weeks.

Not bad, Matthew.
*pats self on back*

No comments: